Thursday, June 26, 2008

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

So, in deciding what the first 5 albums I review should be, I've been going back and forth on a couple ideas. One: '5 summer albums you may/may not have heard (of)'; Two: 5 Classic albums; Three: Review only new releases; and the list goes on. In talking w/ my lovely sister, Abbie, I may have come to a conclusion. I will review whatever I feel like, but try to put at least 1-2 new release reviews in for good measure. If all 5 records happen to be new releases, well, then maybe it was either a great month, or the industry is turning around....

..so without further adeu:

Here are some albums I like to listen to either in the summer or they remind me of summer:

Dick Dale - King of the Surf Guitar: The Best of Dick Dale and His Del-Tones

Surf Music. What's more to say?? The heavy reverb of the amps, rumbling of floor toms, and urgency of rushing waves translated through the medium of Dick Dale's double-picking technique. This album, albeit a compilation of tracks from a few different albums, is a must-listen for summer sounds. Tracks like "Mr. Peppermint Man", "Banzai Washout", "Night Rider" and the
Pulp Fiction-revitalized "Miserlou". If you don't have it, find it, borrow it, stream it, anyway you can, give it a listen.

Coldplay - Viva La Vida


This album came as a surprise to me; after the subpar release of
X&Y, I was skeptical. I had heard "Violet Hill" on their myspace and had mixed feelings. I didn't quite know what to think, but realized I'd gone back and listened a few more times. If it was worth the repeated visits to listen, then I'll drop $9.99 on the album. It's DEFINATELY a Brian Eno-produced record, but it still sounds like Coldplay. I'd venture so far to say that it reminds me of a Peter Gabriel album, and THAT is not a bad thing. Some album favourites are the opening instrumental "Life In Technicolor" which is comforting and homey like an 80's pop song of Echo or late-80's Cure-ilk. The bleacher-stomping, organ-backboned track "Lost!" is an eye-opener as it starts to open your eyes to the progression that's about to take place. Imagine smoke or clouds rising, the production gets a little crisper, and brightens up a bit. By far, my favourite track is "Strawberry Swing" which is where you'll see the Peter Gabriel-parallel. I'd say as far as new releases go, this is a definite 'must pick up'.

Muchacha - Plug In and Go!

Hailng back to an easier time in spring of 2001, before I was old enough to drink legally, before the 9/11 attacks, and before Bush was voted into a 2nd term. This, their 2nd full length album, makes me think of summer b/c it's fun and you don't have to think about anything when you listen to it. BBQ's, some cold brews, friends, and a pair of shades. From the opening track "Transmission Suicide" there's a hit-the-ground-running attitude. "Two Out of Three" is a fun track w/ a great, simple riff, while "Dominate" starts with the rhythm section pummeling out fun, pop-punk 4-count and throaty bass. Check Amazon for this record, and maybe even a used record store (i.e. Reckless). Muchacha doesn't play nearly as often as they used to, but if you're lucky, you may be able to catch a show around Chicago.

Beck - Modern Guilt

The word 'ecclectic' comes to mind when I think of Beck. You can get an idea from album to album, that Beck is a multi-genre beast. His newest effort (hitting stores July 8th), has instantly become my favourite Beck album. I feel like it's his
The Bends or OK Computer. Co-produced by Danger Mouse, this album has a 60's pop album tonality which gives it a versatile quality you don't get with a lot of modern records. The opening drums on the title track, "Modern Guilt", the drums sound as if they were lifted right off T-Rex's "Jeepster". This is a good thing, as it gives some familiarity, or aural comfort, that you can't quite place. Another notable track is "Soul of a Man", which sounds like Beck, plain and simple. Modern Guilt is the quintessential Beck album: you can listen to it in the car, in your house, and I would definitely deem this to be a headphone record.

Hot Water Music - The New What's Next

A friend just recently got me into Hot Water Music this past winter. I listened to the entire catalogue, and then came upon their last release,
The New What's Next from 2004. I'm not quite sure what about this album I love, but it makes me think of summer, that's for sure. The guitar riffs on some of the tracks seem simple, but when paired with Chuck Ragan's voice, it's a perfect match. "All Heads Down" and "This Early Grave" are two of my favourite tracks off this album. I recommend this album, summer or winter, it's a great listen, all the way through.

Links
Allmusic.com: Dick Dale
Coldplay
Allmusic.com: Muchacha
Beck
Beck's Modern Guilt
Allmusic.com: Hot Water Music

No comments: